On-Farm Composting Course
Saturday, January 22, 2022 1:00 PM - Saturday, February 5, 2022 4:30 PM (PST)
Learn composting management techniques from basics to troubleshooting; sifting to vector control; and regulatory considerations to global impacts. This course will combine lectures, hands-on training, and a field trip to operational composting facilities.
Composting on your farm, ranch, or large property is an ideal way to manage crop residues, manures, and other organic waste while creating a stellar soil amendment. During this three-week course, we will address the unique strategies, challenges, and opportunities that arise through medium-scale composting.
This course does not address typical residential composting or large-scale commercial composting. It is intended for those mid-sized systems that fall in between, particularly farms and horse ranches.
- Saturday, January 22, 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
- Saturday, January 29, 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
- Saturday, February 5, 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Terra Madre Gardens
9928 Protea Gardens Rd
Escondido, CA 92026
A tour of local mid-scale composting facilities will also be offered at a date TBD.
In this course, we'll cover the following topics:
- Neighbor-friendly composting best management practices, scaled to farms
- Compost basics, e.g. recipe considerations, feedstocks, and bulk density
- Compost management, e.g. site considerations, odor, dust, and rodent/vector control
- What is permissible on farms without permits
- Composting/water saving benefits
Course Fee: $25*
Limited spots, register in advance to hold your seat: https://bit.ly/3EluhBX
*If the fee presents a financial hardship, please contact Diane Hazard at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for a scholarship.
Sponsored by the County of San Diego
Saturday, January 22, 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Saturday, January 29, 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Saturday, February 5, 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM